The Regional Internet Registry system evolved over time, eventually dividing the world into five RIRs:
- AFRINIC African Network Information Center for Africa
- ARIN American Registry for Internet Numbers for the United States, Canada, several parts of the Caribbean region, and Antarctica.
- APNIC Asia-Pacific Network Information Centre for Asia, Australia, New Zealand, and neighboring countries
- LACNIC Latin America and Caribbean Network Information Centre for Latin America and parts of the Caribbean region
- RIPE NCC Réseaux IP Européens Network Coordination Centre for Europe, Russia, the Middle East, and Central Asia